Saturday, November 16, 2019

100th Anniversary of First World War Brides' Arrival in Canada


Grace Gibson and Hugh Clark on their wedding day. Annette Fulford collection

This year marks the 100th Anniversary for the majority of war brides that came to Canada after the First World War. My grandmother travelled to Canada in September 1919 on the ship Melita.

Check out the recent story about my grandmother Grace Clark by Tamara Baluja of CBC News Vancouver: Canadian war bride's story shared by her granddaughter (Source: CBC News)

I've often wondered just how many families have letters and photographs in the family archives similar to the ones in my family. Thankfully, many have shared their family stories with me. I use these stories to tell the history of the war brides from this era.

(c) Annette Fulford, November 2019



1 comment:

  1. I just love these stories, Annette! My grandfathers on both sides of my family married English girls who emigrated to Canada with their families in 1906 and 1908, respectively. My paternal granddad was also born in England, and didn't meet Grandma until he had emigrated just before WWI. My maternal grandfather was Irish/French Canadian and his Irish forebears came to Quebec nearly 80 years prior to WWI, and the French Canadian ones were the first settlers to Lower Canada in the early 1600's. I think these stories of the War Brides are important to our history and should be shared and enjoyed! Thanks again. -- Gloria Mills

    ReplyDelete